Regional Safety Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: Senior Safety Manager
Direct Reports: N/A
Location: As Assigned
This position is responsible to provide day to day HSE support to site leadership and operating teams within designated Region. Support includes coaching, teaching and training field personnel on safe operating behaviors and the design, development and implementation of safety and risk control programs. This position will need to ensure that the Groups’ Health, Safety & Environmental Policies & Procedures are specific within the DSV Solutions environment and that sites within that region are complying with all statutory requirements, where applicable. This position functions as a subject matter expert and consultant to help internal clients build sustainable loss improvement processes within their operating organizations and co-coordinating initiatives within all regions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Regional Safety Manager will manage highly technical HSE subject matters with site management teams, corporate HSE, external regulatory agencies, and provide strategic leadership and talent development for site-level staff to ensure program effectiveness. The Regional Safety Manager will be responsible for developing and implementing Environmental and Safety integrated programs to limit exposure and minimize recognized hazards as well as the proper handling of materials common to this industry. This position is responsible for maintaining continuous improvement with a goal of achieving excellence in all Environmental and Safety areas.
- Assists in the administration of the Workers’ Compensation Program
- Ensure compliance with all PSM requirements and lead PSM team in best practice strategy implementation.
- Prepare, submit and revise various environmental plans related to management of hazardous and not-hazardous wastes, fuel and chemical storage, spill prevention, chemical handling, dust control, and emissions.
- Supports and promotes safe practices and environmental commitments in alignment with company commitments, policies, and compliance requirements.
- Provide training and coaching to local Health & Safety Managers to ensure technical competence and leadership development within across the region.
- Creates a positive partnership with Facility Leadership and serves as point of contact for safety related matters.
- Champion sustainability efforts within DSV Solutions LLC.
- Representative for DSV in Safety, Health and Environmental role.
- Conduct HSE audits and assessments of on-going operations to measure compliance with regulatory requirements and conformance to company policies
- Plans, administers, and manages organization safety polices, programs, procedures, and systems for assigned region
- Ensure compliance with Federal, State and Municipal EHS regulations as well as Corporate EHS requirements including Hazardous Waste, Wastewater, Air, DOT, RCRA, Stormwater and OSHA. Stays current with pending regulations to ensure future compliance.
- Manage the company’s water-waste and storm water, air environmental and solid waste systems with full compliance to all local, state and federal requirements
- Coordinate the collection of samples, laboratory testing and all required reporting to state and federal E.P.A.
- Ensure continual compliance with all permitting requirements including all permit renewal processes, applications and environmental/spill plans, i.e. Tier 2, FSMA, DOT, DOT Hazardous Material Sara, etc.
- Ensures compliance with local Health, Safety & Environmental laws & by laws as well as customer specific requirements i.r.o. Health, Safety & Environment for the region.
- Conducts pre-operational risk assessments on new sites, design, propose and implement risk mitigation measures within the region
- Monitors HSE controllers & Site Managers in executing safe work practices and adherence to standards
- Collaborate with key staff to institute control and remedial measures for hazardous and potentially hazardous conditions or equipment by SDS reviews and chemical compliance initiatives.
- Assists in the investigation of the root cause HSE complaints put forward by staff members, customers, clients and contractors
- Follows up to ensure that corrective actions are implemented where necessary and ensures that any certification requirements are complied with
- Assists in the coordination in the investigation of accidents and near misses; reviews and analyzes these accidents and near miss incidents and make corrective action recommendations working together with site safety managers.
- Ensures that within the region, operations employees, contractors and site visitors receive HSE inductions
- Coordinates with site safety managers -Safety, Health & Environment system plans are in line with Quality Management Systems policies and procedures
- Ensures implementation of emergency procedures (BCP & EDP).
- Coordinates and delivers HSE training regionally (where and when required)
- Ensures that all sites‘ risk registers within the region are up to date and that the following are current and on file:
- Current baseline risk assessment (HIRA)
- Routine / Non routine risks
- Environmental risks
- Health risks
- Job hazard analysis
- Risk assessment before critical tasks are performed
- Assists in the publication of the year end OSHA 300 log for the region.
- Assists in the completion of OSHA surveys
- Assists in providing information on HSE for RFP submissions
- Communicates all problems and questions to operations managers.
- Follows all safety procedures at all times.
- Responsible for all equipment, supplies, documents, and materials related to job.
- Responsible for following all DSV policies and procedures.
- Complies with all federal, state, and local regulations.
- Communicates with all levels of staff and public as appropriate to the job.
- May be required to perform other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
Education and/or Experience
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a medium to large warehouse in a HSE management capacity supervising 5 or more employees.
- BS in Chemical, Mechanical, Civil or Environmental Engineering
- Prior experience in safety observations/inspections, developing and implementing compliance strategies and plans.
- Knowledge and understanding of current Environmental / Sustainability Topics (i.e. Environmental Regulations, Green Energy Technologies, Greenhouse Gases, Waste and Recycling, Energy / Water Conservation, etc.)
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Strong computer skills are required;
- Proficient use of MS Office Applications;
- Proficient knowledge of ERP systems Preferably: SAP/R3;
- WM systems: preferably SAP, WM4000, Manhattan Associates WMOS or Red Prairie.
- English (reading, writing, and verbal)
- Intermediate skills are required, as well as the functional use of spreadsheets to develop trends and track reactions to safety programs.
- Excellent training skills
- Good communication, supervisory and people skills are essential
- Strong project management and analytical skills and ability to pay attention to detail
- Able to develop and deliver presentations to managers and executives
- Able to be convincing, communicatively strong
- Self Management Skills (e.g., Dealing with Stress, Maintaining Composure)
- Work Orientation (e.g., Behaving with Integrity, Being Dependable)
- Change Management Skills (e.g., Learning Agility, Adapting to Change)
- People and Relationship Management Skills (e.g., Demonstrating Teamwork, Sensitivity to Others, Intercultural competence, Leadership,)
- Personality & Motivation (e.g., Demonstrating Enthusiasm and Energy, Drive to Achieve Goals, fact-based, obliging, used to work self-contained “by-objective”, self-motivated and a team player)
- Quality and Service Skills and Orientation (e.g., Valuing Quality, Focusing on Details)
- Additional course work in management type courses and problem solving techniques preferred.
- Participation in local/ community and industry specific Safety related organizations and programs
- Certified Safety Professional certification preferred
While performing the duties of this job, the employee uses his/her hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, or crouch; talk or hear. The employee uses computer and telephone equipment.
The employee also regularly lifts and/or moves objects up to 10 pounds. Specific vision requirements of this job include close vision and distance vision. The Employee must be able to travel by plane and/or automobile. Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) such as steel toe shoes, safety glasses, ear protection and any other PPE required by the safety analysis.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described above are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position will on occasion be required to go to offsite locations to examine and inspect equipment. On those occasions there will be a requirement to observe the safety standards of the location, including review of procedures for use of safety gear such as steel toed shoes, hard hats, eye/ear protection, and safety vests.